Glass Hearts and Glass Globes (Origami Week Day 5)

Friday, May 09, 2008

Here we are at the last day of Origami Week. It's been fun, it always is.
Todays offering is another use of origami cranes, and the first usage of stars to be shown other than their awesome capacity for filling space!

These ornaments were an offering of my booth at Saturday Market this holiday season. I ended up making more of them than I could ever have imagined. People loved their fun ship in a bottle nature.

I ended up needing to find a way to organize all the colors of stars and spent a good day just getting things in the right drawers. I made them in all colors, and had a great time doing it.

My favorite instance of these ornaments was a woman who wanted a whole tree full of ornaments, well nine really. This was at the Saturday Market, so she needed them in less than half an hour. She wanted them all in purple, which is fine, but I had no purple cranes folded. Well this would be more than well and good, but that day was the one day that I decided to imbibe in some hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps.

Of course, the cranes needed to be folded just after the first wave of a buzz hit me. To make it even more fun, they were all for the heart-shaped ornaments, which are much smaller and need even more precision. I did manage to get all of them folded, and all of the cranes and stars into the hearts. It was nothing short of a miracle!

0 comments: